Wednesday, February 01, 2006

7 Reasons why I'm celebrating my own private Black History Month

  1. Because it's not every month that they dedicate a whole 28 days to folks who look like me. So I thought I'd just take it one extra step.

  2. Because when I was a kid, I thought that Black History Month was about a bunch of extremely noble, earnest, stoic and kinda boring people who never smiled EVER and all died way before I was even born.

  3. Because there have been so many times in my life when I was so proud to be a part of the Diaspora, I thought my heart would burst with joy.

  4. Because until I was in my sophmore year of college, I'd never been in a classroom with more than one other black person -- I won't go into how that affected my popularity in the gymnasium.

  5. Because I'm kinda on the quirky side and- um... well, you'll see...

  6. Because throughout my life, I have quietly watched, cheered on, remembered and paid homage to other African Americans as they accomplished things great and small, and each time I have thought to myself, "What a wonderful people we are."

  7. Because this black girl doesn't want to be quiet any more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bakari said...

Right on sister. I really like the idea of your project and how personal it is. Will mention you my blog at http://forwardever.typepad.com/

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home