Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Ten Reasons Why I Personally Loved The Cosby Show

  1. Finally, a show about a black family that didn't lead to my white classmates asking me stupid questions (Them: "Is it hard living in the ghetto?" thisblackgirl: "My house is two doors down from yours!")
  2. Cliff Huxtable was an OB/GYN with the same sort of medical practice that I wanted to have someday. In fact, I've heard that The Cosby Show inspired many young black men and women to go into medicine and law.
  3. Claire Huxtable spoke flawless Spanish, just like mi abeula and all of the other black Hispanics that I never ever saw represented in the media.
  4. The stories often had no plot, but I was laughing so hard, I didn't ever want them to end.
  5. Bill Cosby somehow managed to make butt-ugly sweaters look cool. And he promoted black colleges just by wearing the school sweatshirts.
  6. Theo Huxtable started NYU at the same time that I started there and...
  7. ...while I was working at the NYU bookstore, I got an autograph from Malcolm Jamal Warner when he stopped by to purchase a school shirt. And Bill Cosby showed up at my undergraduate graduation.
  8. Denise's boho style really inspired me to do my own thing fashionwise
  9. My mother kinda resembled Phylicia Rashad, so every time I saw the show it reminded me of how beautiful my own mom is.
  10. Everyone in America got to see what it was like to have a slightly befuddled but cool black dad who was funny, wise, practical and playful and who loved his kids with all his heart. Kinda like my Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home